Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: Any recommended computers?

  1. #11
    TA152
    Guest TA152's Avatar

    Post

    <font color="#a62a2a"><font size="1">[ August 28, 2003 10:59 PM: Message edited by: S8 Booster ]</font></font>

    -------------------------

    Original Message reinserted by the moderator to keep the entire topic thread intact.

    -------------------------

    Agree with you on the Beta vs DV issue Alex. I have the same experience as you but I seem to get slammed for it by the from the "pRO" (intentionally) people around every time I mention it.

    About 8 years ago I used a BetaCam for a project and to me these takes (image quality/colour balance etc) are far superior to what I see from any 3-chip Prosumer DV cam.


    But I am only an amateur (in PAL - land ) then . [img]graemlins/angel.gif[/img]

    <font color="#7BC618" size="1">[ November 14, 2003 10:53 AM: Message edited by: Alex ]</font>

  2. #12
    Inactive Member Mike Buckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 7th, 2002
    Posts
    614
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've also heard that Beta is superior to DV, but as an amateur, and on a limited budget, DV was the way to go for me...but compared to VHS or hi8 or even Super VHS, DV is great! I've also heard that DV can have it's limitations on green screen work...I'm going to buy a green screen soon, would filming it on Super 8, then transferring to DV still be the same, or better? Also, when working with Super 8 on DV, do you have to worry about 3-2 pulldown in Premiere? As far as an affordable green screen, FJ Westcott seems to have some good products thru B and H Photo..anyone else know of any other green screen companies that are affordable? Mike

  3. #13
    Inactive Member GREATwarEAGLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 29th, 2002
    Posts
    530
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Can you guys each specify the output quality? The compression. I have no experience in home NLE. But I do know that pro NLE's, like Avid Symphony, is uncompressed.

    I've thought about buying a home NLE and this is one of my chief concerns.

  4. #14
    Inactive Member cameraguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2001
    Posts
    831
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    <font color="#a62a2a"><font size="1">[ August 30, 2003 05:25 AM: Message edited by: cameraguy ]</font></font>

    ---------------------------

    Original message reinserted by the moderator to keep the entire topic thread intact.

    ---------------------------

    After many hours of research I have decided to totally drop the idea of computer editing and stick within the Hi8 format. I'll just get a deck and controller and just use the LANC supplied on my camera. I know its not frame acurate but within a half second is fine for my purpose.

    <font color="#7BC618" size="1">[ November 14, 2003 10:55 AM: Message edited by: Alex ]</font>

  5. #15
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Green Screen and Super-8. I think it's best you try and lest us know your results! [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

    Cameraguy, Hi-8, really?

    I can give you the model number of a really cool Hi-8 deck if you like.

  6. #16
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I just realized I once did key super-8 footage over video footage. I used the blue sky of the video for my "blue screen". It worked pretty well, of course, only the blue sky keyed out, but it was interesting nonetheless.

  7. #17
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm having trouble getting to the final post of this topic, so instead of adding to a previous post, I'll just post here.

    If there are anymore green screen questions, I think that would make an excellent new topic, otherwise, most won't know such a topic is "hidden" in the recommended computers topic post.

  8. #18
    Inactive Member cameraguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2001
    Posts
    831
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    <font color="#a62a2a"><font size="1">[ August 30, 2003 05:26 AM: Message edited by: cameraguy ]</font></font>

    ---------------------

    Original message reinserted by the moderator to keep the entire topic thread intact.

    ---------------------

    Originally posted by Alex:

    Cameraguy, Hi-8, really?

    I can give you the model number of a really cool Hi-8 deck if you like.
    <font size="2" face="verdana, sans-serif">Yep Hi8 [img]redface.gif[/img]

    Whats the model? I've been looking but may not have read up on the one your thinking of. It must have RC time code cause I'm working on a script that will (hopefully someday) be shot in Hi8 and Super 8. I didn't realize you could add the time code after you shoot with a non time code camera. Cool, frame accuracy is back [img]tongue.gif[/img]

    <font color="#7BC618" size="1">[ November 14, 2003 10:57 AM: Message edited by: Alex ]</font>

  9. #19
    TA152
    Guest TA152's Avatar

    Post

    <font color="#a62a2a"><font size="1">[ August 28, 2003 10:58 PM: Message edited by: S8 Booster ]</font></font>

    --------------------------

    Original message could not be found

    What a pathetic display by "boosters" of Super-8

    ----------------------------

    <font color="#7BC618" size="1">[ November 14, 2003 11:01 AM: Message edited by: Alex ]</font>

  10. #20
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yeah, my HI-8 Machine does post stripe RC time-code.

    New this baby sold for over $5,000. (I didn't pay that much for it) It's claim to fame was that it was made for computer video animation!

    The HI-8 deck was specially made to record HI-8 in single frame mode! It has an RS-232 9 pin connection in back.
    This connectin can hook up to various computers. If the computer recognizes the HI-8 deck, then the two can "talk" back and forth and the computer can control the Hi-8 machine.

    The Hi-8 machine is an EVO-9650....

    They probably stopped making them 7-8 years ago.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •